Pages

Monday, November 18, 2019

Aron Baynes happy with Suns, but misses his Celtics mates — even the crazy ones - Boston Herald

PHOENIX — Before flying here from Sacramento on Sunday night, Jaylen Brown was asked about the pending reunion with friend/former Celtic/current Sun Aron Baynes.

“Baynes, that’s my guy,” Brown said. “He’s crazy as hell, but, yeah, I’m excited to see him. Make sure I give him a big hug tomorrow.”

The Phoenix center-slash-beast was fed the latter part first after Monday’s shootaround.

“I mean, big hug-bit of a hit — doesn’t matter either way,” Baynes said with a grin. “It’s all good, a lot of fun. We both got a couple of hits on each other over the summertime, as well, so, you know, it’s definitely good to see those guys. And, yeah, they’re rolling right now, so it’s been fun to watch.”

Then Baynes was apprised of the “crazy as hell” portion of Brown’s remark.

“I mean, you know, that’s the pot calling the kettle black, so we’re good.” Baynes said.

The Celtics’ plan for 2019-20 was for Baynes and Brown to make cookware analogies from the same dressing room. The club was pleased when Baynes opted in to the second and final year of the free agent contract he signed in 2017, and at $5,453,280 he was a very reasonably priced piece to the inside puzzle with Al Horford.

But with Kyrie Irving leaving and Horford surprising the team by deciding to do the same, the Celts began trying to clear cap space to make a move. So Baynes was dealt to Phoenix at draft time, and he’s gone on to play the best of his career, averaging 15.0 points and 5.5 rebounds leading into the Monday matchup with the C’s.

The cleared space eventually allowed the Celts to acquire Kemba Walker. And while it would have been nice to have Baynes with the current group, the team would have had to know before the draft that Walker was coming and still would have needed another hard-to-make deal to create room.

Baynes took the transaction in stride.

“Any day in this league, things can be in motion, so it’s one of those things that you’ve just got to always be ready for,” he said Monday. “You know, no one is untradeable in this business. Everyone can be moved, and it’s just one of those things that’s part of the business side of things. But I’m looking forward to the future here, and I’m definitely enjoying what’s going on down here right now.”

As for whether the trade away from Boston bummed him out, Baynes said, “There’s no reason to look back. You know, you can always ask ‘what if?’ But you’ve got to think about what I get to. So I get to get to come out here and keep playing, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

And he wasn’t surprised by Horford’s move to Philadelphia.

“No, it’s one of those things,” Baynes said. “It’s a business side. That’s an unfortunate side of it, but he had to do what he thought was best for him and his family. When he came in here, he had a pretty good showing against us (32 points in a 114-109 Phoenix win), so it’s good to see him doing well.”

The Celtics, too.

“Definitely,” he said. “You build friendships with guys, and that’s the most fun thing for me to watch is the friends that I have in this league and how they’re still doing well. So that’s what I watch more so than just the teams. It’s always good to keep an eye on your mates.”

Baynes, for three

Remember those 3-pointers Baynes was hitting toward the end of last season? Well, he’s taking and hitting a lot more now. The big man was a nice 34.4% on 1.2 treys a game last season, but in his first 11 games with the Suns, he’s hoisting 4.3 a night and hitting them at a 46.3% clip.

It was Brad Stevens who helped create this monster.

“I’m thankful for my time under Brad,” Baynes said. “He definitely gave me a lot of confidence out there to do what I’ve been continuing to do and also becoming more of a student of the game. I mean, any time you’re under the tutelage of a great basketball mind like that, you’ve got to take advantage of it, and, yeah, I definitely enjoyed my time there and I’m thankful for what I’ve learned and what I’ve been able to do in my time there.”

Getting back to the treys, Baynes said, “(Stevens) definitely gave me confidence. Danny (Ainge) also says the 3-point line’s there for a reason. Everyone knows that. So it’s kind of one of those things. I was told one day by Brad that if I don’t take the shot, then that’s hurting the team. So, you know, I’ve got to go out there and do what I do in practice. Having that confidence from your coach, it’s a good thing.”

Grinding

The Celtics still have, on paper, the two most difficult games on this trip to come. They are at the Clippers Wednesday and in Denver Friday. Both are picked to finish in the higher reaches of the Western Conference.

After beating Golden State and losing to Sacramento to start the journey, Walker talked about the grind setting in.

“I think it’s just that time for everybody, you know?” he said. “We’re what, 11-12 games in? Everybody’s going to start to get a little tired. Of course, for us, we’re on the West Coast. It happens. Legs are going to be tired, and that’s just the name of the game. That’s just how it goes.”

Smart praise

Suns’ star Devin Booker on Marcus Smart: “That’s the type of guy you don’t like playing against, but you want him on your team. He’s going to do all the dirty work. Really good defender. He’s going to make it tough on you, but you just have to go out there and play your game.”

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"Happy" - Google News
November 19, 2019 at 04:25AM
https://ift.tt/341fKZh

Aron Baynes happy with Suns, but misses his Celtics mates — even the crazy ones - Boston Herald
"Happy" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2VPek0I
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment