Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Happy New Year? | Sheneman - NJ.com

The start of a new year is supposed to be hopeful. No matter what unrelenting crap storm you were forced to march through the previous 365 days, the start of a new calendar offers the opportunity to fill its pages with plans and aspirations for the year to come, unless you’re a cranky jerk.

One of the unfortunate side effects of my chosen profession is the unavoidable cynicism that develops like a mental callous after years of attempting to find humor in current events. It will come as no surprise to anyone reading this blog on purpose that the news is usually an epic bummer.

The past three years have been especially brutal as the junior varsity autocrat in the White House has attempted to snuff out all hope of progress. As a result, I’m a bigger crank than usual. I used to have a little faith in my fellow man but now I just assume everyone is a tiki torch carrying Proud Boy trying to drag the country back to the 50s.

The one thing that consistently restores my faith in humanity is talking to young people. I see my daughter and her diverse friend group openly accepting of each other regardless of race, sexuality or gender identity and I think maybe, as old white guys become a less dominant voice in government by attrition, there is a glimmer of hope for humanity. Hopefully, that day comes before the rising sea swallows us all. Happy New Year.

Bookmark NJ.com/Opinion. Follow us on Twitter @NJ_Opinion and on Facebook at NJ.com Opinion. Get the latest news updates right in your inbox. Subscribe to NJ.com’s newsletters.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"Happy" - Google News
December 29, 2019 at 09:05PM
https://ift.tt/369eSmx

Happy New Year? | Sheneman - NJ.com
"Happy" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2VPek0I
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment