Pages

Monday, November 11, 2019

Why Jets’ Blessuan Austin wasn’t happy with 1st game since his Rutgers days - NJ.com

The Jets won. Blessuan Austin made his NFL debut. He ended a 14-month injury layoff due to a torn ACL.

Sounds like a pretty good day for the former Rutgers cornerback, right?

“I’m nowhere near what I could be," Austin said.

OK, maybe not then.

Sure, Austin – the Jets’ sixth-round pick this April – admitted that he was grateful for the opportunity and excited to finally play again during the Jets’ 34-27 win over the Giants on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. And the 23-year-old thought he mostly fared well in his pinch-hit appearance for the benched Nate Hairston.

But he’s not about to get complacent.

“It went well, but I dropped a pick," Austin said. "I hold myself to a high standard and I don’t like leaving plays out there. I feel like I would have put the team in a better position if I was able to come down with that interception, so I just have to keep working.”

That play came late in the third quarter, when Giants quarterback Daniel Jones misfired in the direction of Darius Slayton. Austin let the ball slip through his hands inside the Giants’ 40-yard-line at a critical juncture; the Jets were down three, 27-24, after squandering an early 14-0 lead.

Beyond that, though, Austin had an overwhelmingly positive day – and was certainly a marked improvement over Hairston, who had a nightmare first half. Surprisingly, Austin didn’t look rusty – despite playing just one game at Rutgers in 2018 and four in 2017 due to a pair of ACL injuries.

“I didn’t have any nerves at all, to be honest with you," Austin said. “I just trusted my training.”

That training included a ton of mental reps this summer and fall, considering Austin was unable to practice until about three weeks ago. He didn’t even feel physically 100 percent until mid–September; Austin said he finally got to that point around Week 2.

Head coach Adam Gase expressed some concern earlier in the week about Austin’s tackling ability. After all, Austin didn’t get to bring anyone to the ground in practice; the last time he’d truly tackled, he was doing it against Texas State. But Austin never felt like that was an issue.

“That’s nothing. That’s defense," Austin said. "(If) you’re going to be on defense, you better know how to tackle. I feel good, man. I’m an angry dude sometimes. So to be out there and impose my will on some guys, that’s definitely fun.”

With all that in mind, Austin said he felt “at home” on the MetLife Stadium field on Sunday – a bold proclamation for a rookie, let alone one who hadn’t played in so long.

That was just a piece of his expertly maneuvered tightrope walk between confidence and humility.

“I was just happy to be given the opportunity to show how I could help the team," Austin said. "That’s it. I’m just grateful for the opportunity. But that’s it. It’s just back to work. It’s one win. Back to work. I have a goal in mind. I’m on a mission.”

What’s that mission?

“I can’t disclose that right now," Austin said.

Perhaps it has something to do with securing that pick next time.

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"Happy" - Google News
November 11, 2019 at 05:25PM
https://ift.tt/2NB6K7n

Why Jets’ Blessuan Austin wasn’t happy with 1st game since his Rutgers days - NJ.com
"Happy" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2VPek0I
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment